So I’m sharing a car with my sister Miranda and while I was away for college she removed all the CDs in the car that I liked and replaced them with CDs I didn’t want to listen to. For some reason, the only CD she had left in the car that I particularly wanted to listen to was Collin Raye’s greatest hits CD. I happen to love that CD and can sing every word to every song. But after listening to it ten times through in about two days I decided to track down my old CDs.
I didn’t find them. Well, not for awhile anyway. In the meantime, though, I did rediscover our copy of They Might Be Giant’s Flood. I happened to be listening to it when I picked up my younger brother from a friend’s house. Today I was incredibly proud when he asked if he could change the CD in our car so we could “listen to that whistling in the dark song.”
Uh… anyway. Here’s my top 10 countdown of They Might Be Giants lyrics. But just from the album Flood. Because doing a compilation from all their albums would be too much work.
10. “I will never apologize for when I was eight and I made my younger brother have to be my personal slave.” Dead
9. “A man came up to me and said ‘I’d like to change your mind. By hitting you with a rock’ he said ‘though I am not unkind.” Whistling in the Dark
8.”Is he a dot or is he a speck? When he’s under water does he get wet? Or does the water get him instead? Nobody knows. Particle man.” Particle Man
7. “Every gal in Constantinople lives in Istanbul not Constantinople. So if you’ve a date in Constantinople, she’ll be waiting in Istanbul.” Istanbul
6. “Minimum wage! Hiya!” Minimum Wage (can a whip crack count as a lyric?)
5. “Why did Constantinople get the works? That’s nobody’s business but the Turks.” Istanbul
4. “But I was young and foolish then. I feel old and foolish now.” Lucky Ball and Chain
3. “I’ll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed.” Dead
2. “There’s a picture opposite me of my primitive ancestry which stood on rocky shores and kept the beaches shipwreck free. Though I respect that a lot, I’d be fired if that were my job. After killing Jason off and countless screaming Argonauts.” Birdhouse in Your Soul
1. “Sure as you can’t steer a train, you can’t change your fate.” Lucky Ball and Chain
Also: did you know that the song Bird House in Your Soul is actually about a nightlight?